LARGE GROUP IN TUTORIAL TAKE HONORS

50% In Tutorial Fields Candidates In "Cum"

Steadily increasing over recent years, the number of candidates for honors now totals 50 per cent of all upperclassmen in tutorial work, according to figures released by Reginald H. Phelps '30, assistant dean in charge of records, yesterday.

Last year 47 percent of the students concentrating in fields other than practical sciences, which do not require tutorial work, came for honors. In the fall of 1938, 46.4 per cent were honors candidates; in he fall of 1937, 45.6 per cent; and in 1936, 44.7 per cent.

University officials were unable yesterday to give a definite explanation for the trend towards work for honors, but agreed that changes in departmental requirements and increased emphasis on tutorial work were partly responsible.

Requirements Vary

The departments vary as to their honors requirements. In some fields a student must be in group three, while in others a few students in group five will be permitted to write theses. Some departments permit students with mediocre grades to sign up for honors, and then weed them out if they don't show a genuine interest in their work.

No change from last year, 79.8 per cent of students doing tutorial work are in Plan A. Under Plan A a student is able to do full tutorial work and in some fields, is allowed a course reduction. Plan B is limited tutorial with no course reduction. Most fields do not require a Plan A student to come out for honors.

Differing drastically as to their requirements, some departments insist that all of their students take Plan A. Last year the Economics Department abolished Plan B, and in other fields only an increasingly small percentage of men do limited tutorial work.