Hoyt's Elis Point for Upset in Annual Quad Games Tonight

Jay Shields and Tommy Lussen Expected to Take Honors In Highs, Pole Vault

By Yale News and Richard B. Tweey

When Yale takes the floor for the Annual Quadrangular Games tonight it will boast a team of uncertainties, which may in its first year under the tutelage of Charlie Hoyt, erstwhile Michigan coach, be able to turn the tables on Harvard, Dartmouth, and Cornell.

Heading the list of its capable performers is Captain Jay Shields, Quad record holder for the high hurdles, who will be paired with either Dick Osborn or Ted Day, who has been hampered throughout the season by an injured knee. Day is fast regaining the form he displayed two years ago when he won the indoor IC4A championship.

Lussen in Pole Vault

Another dependable Eli performer is Tommy Lussen who has already bettered 14 feet this season in his specialty, the pole vault. Performing with him will be either Walter Wagoner or Ed Macomber, former Andover star.

In the sprint will be Bob Owen and Jim Rothschild, who was a member of the combined Yale-Harvard team which met Oxford and Cambridge. In the 880 Yale will probably pit Dick Morse, who placed fifth in the IC4A outdoor meet last spring, and Jim Ord, another member of the Yale-Harvard European team. In the mile Jack Lohmann appears to be a certain starter while Jack Kaynor will liandle the two mile assignment. Their running mates appear uncertain as yet.

In the field events the Elis will be weak especially in the weight events. George Read and Mike Jennings will be counted upon in the 35 pound weight throw while Ernie Parshall, last season's Freshman captain, will probably be the only entrant in the shot put. Yale will be insufferably weak in the broad jump with Read Murphy as its only prospect. Manager Mel Chapin will pair with Woody Rich in the high jump and they promise to be the real dark horses on the Ell squad. If Rich's ankle regains its former strength he may pull a real surprise.