Yard Blaze Calls Five Fire Engines

Wigglesworth Hall Suite Ruined; Conflagration Blamed On Cigarette

Five fire engines were summoned yesterday to extinguish a raging fire in the Wigglesworth Hall room of Robert W. Lerner '43. The conflagration, the biggest the Yard has seen in over a dozen years, completely destroyed one of the most expensive Freshman suites, with an estimated damage of over $1000.

The fire started at about 11:45 o'clock, while Lerner was attending a class. By the time the engines arrived, the smoke was pouring out the windows and around the eaves. Ladders were quickly raised, and the firemen rushed up to the room and shoveled burning debris out the window.

Cause Not Established

The cause of the blaze has not been definitely established, but evidence seems to point to a carelessly extinguished cigarette. "I did smoke a cigarette in the morning," admitted Lerner, "but I can't remember what I did with it." Deputy Chief Church, of the Cambridge Fire Department, explained that the fire had probably been smouldering in a chair for about three-quarters of an hour before it was discovered.

The damage caused was considerable. The fierce heat cracked the window panes and blistered the woodwork. The furniture was hopelessly damaged, and the smoke stains and odor filled the whole building. As far as Lerner is concerned, however, the greatest loss is that of his new clothes and lecture notes.