Cornell Team Virtually Bags Eastern League Title by Wins Over Yale, Princeton This Week

Big Red's Defeat of Lions Gives Only Dartmouth a Real Chance to Overtake Them This Season

The Eastern Intercollegiate Baseball League, entering the second half of its eleventh annual championship race, discovers today that if it is to stop Cornell from sweeping to its first full title since the league was formed it must call that halt this week.

Porched safely atop the standing with six consecutive victories, the last gained over its closest rival, Columbia, Cornell now faces the opportunity of practically clinching the crown a month before the campaign ends. All it needs is victories in the two double headers scheduled for it this week--with Princeton at Tigertown today and with Yale at Ithaca on Saturday. Triumphs in all four of these games will mean that only Dartmouth will have a chance to overhaul the Ithacans.

An unblemished record this week for Cornell, however, will take a lot of doing. In Yale the Ithacans will be facing the team with the strongest pitcher in the league, Ted Harrison, who hurled his nine to its third victory in four games last Saturday over Pennsylvania. Holding the Quakers to four hits for the second time this season, young Harrison, a left-handed Sophomore, struck out fourteen, bettering the league record by one. He now has won three games, has yielded 13 hits in 27 innings and has had only one earned run scored against him. Furthermore, he has fanned 38.

Cornell's victory over Columbia virtually eliminated the Lions from the race, sending them down to third place with five and three, and providing the spring-board for which Ronnie Stillman, the Big Red's Sophomore second baseman, jumped to the head of the field in individual batting and slugging. He has an average of 404, gained on 13 hits in 28 at bats, and leads in total bases, with 16. He also is tied with three teammates, George Polzer, Walter Scholl and Ken Brown, for runs scored, each with 10. And another Cornellian, Scholl, leads the league in individual base-stealing, with 7.