DE HAAS SEES GERMAN PUSH AS ADMISSION OF ECONOMIC WEAKNESS; LANGER HOLDS NEUTRAL 'STATUS QUO' LIKELY

Distinguished Historian Says German Balkan Invasion Would Involve Italy and Russia

"It appears likely that the status quo will be maintained in the neutral areas of the Balkans and the Dutch East Indies," stated William L. Langer, Coolidge Professor of History discussing the political implications of the latest German blitzkrieg.

"In the Balkans, Hitler is not likely to move since he will come into conflict with his allies, Russia and Italy, Professor Langer held, even though he could sweep through them if he wanted."

"This, however," he went on, "does not preclude the possibility of Britain and France stirring up a revolt to relieve pressure on the Western front."

East Indies Important to U.S.

The most serious situation as far as the United States is concerned is control of the Dutch colonies in the East and the West Indies, in Professor Langer's opinion.

In the East Indies the conflict is between the United States and the Japanese. "Unless the United States goes to war on the Western front, I do not believe, that Japan will dare seize the islands, but if we do they are almost sure to," he stated.

The importance of the East Indies to the Allies is tremendous, as they provide petrol, tin, quinine, and rubber, all of them vital, he pointed out, and thus it is necessary for us to maintain a strong policy to keep Japan out.

West Indies Under Control

In the West Indies, Professor Langer felt, our interests are more easily protected as a result of the tradition of the Monroe Doctrine. As force in Greenland demonstrated the effect of a strong United States policy in contrast to our lack of interest in Iceland, so force in the West Indies will be effective if it ever appears that Britain and France incapable of maintaining them.

As far as threats from Italy and Russia are concerned, Professor Langer considered that they were negligible at the moment. "Russia may take advantage of a Hitler jam, especially in the direction of the Balkans, and Italy will jump as soon as she is sure of a German victory, but not until then."

Of the actual issue now being fought in the Netherlands, he withheld comment, saying only that it depended on how rapidly British and French forces moved.