FIRST CLASS AFTER DEPRESSION PUBLISHES STORY OF DECADE

Boys of '30 Have Radcliffe Wives, More Cars Than Kids

Tracing all their activities of the decade that has passed since their graduation, the Class of 1930, first group to graduate after the depression had struck, release their Decennial Report today.

518 men, about two-third of the 889 living members answered the poll sent out last fall and revealed such interesting tidbits about their personal lives as that there are more wives from Radcliffe than from any other college, that for the first time in three-quarters of a century the Republican party's adherents rank second to the Democrats, and that almost four-fifths of the class oppose U. S. entrance into Europe's struggle.

The class includes such notables as Jimmy Roosevolt; Edwin Land, inventor of Polar Polaroid glass; the Lincoln Kristein, ballet director.

Professions

Also included of the rolls, according to the reports which they gave on the questionnaire, are a Communist organizer, a writer of "drugstore classics," a laborer, a policeman, a scalp treatment specialist, a milk-bottle-packager, a sand and gravel expert, a wood preserver, a dog caterer, an ex-Foreign Legionnaire, and 17 unemployed, one of whom described himself as "looking for work; hoping for relief.'

Some 44 percent of the 518 wish to give their sons a Harvard education although there was no unanimity on the question of the comparative values of the academic knowledge and the social contacts gained, here. 215 favored the advantages received from studies, although many admitted that they have only the haziest idea of what they studied in four years at college. 63 claimed they got more from social contacts, and 113 decided the advantages were about even. The rest declined to venture an opinion.

One-Third Unmarried

As for the marriage question, one-third remain unmarried, and 141 of the 357 married graduates have no childron. The total number of children belonging to the class is 375, cr somewhat less than half.

Of the wives, 42 percent went to college. Radcliffe leads the list of institutions of higher education with 22 lucky winners, with Vassar, despite a 200 mile handicap, close behind with 19. Smith finishes third with 18 and Wellesley pulls in a poor fourth with 15. 15.

19 of the 22 Radcliffs products, surprisingly enough, are rated as good cooks. Simmons and Barnard both rated 100 percent as far as good cooking was concerned.

Poughkeepsle didn't do so well in respect to the culinary arts. The answers of Vassar husbands to the question. "Is she a good cook" included, "In a way" (no telling which way)"; "In a half-baked fashion;" and "No, but she isn't aware of it."

284 live in the city, 108 in suburbs, and 54 in "large towns." Only 133 own their own homes while 137 rent houses and 199 live in apartments. The class owns 476 cars wihch is 100 more than the number of babies.

Although there are more Democrats than Republicans (193 to 70, with 274 unattached) they oppose a third term for President Roosevelt by 311 to 136. The vote in 1936 was also opposed to the President, 245 to 176, and in 1932, 214, to 160.

The average earned income for the two-thirds who answered the poll comes to $3,847, with 248 garnering in addition an average of $1,409 through unearned income. 131 wives garner an average of $2,920.

As to the war, 296 of the 518 believe that the Allies will win, and the tendency is towards putting the time limit at two to three years. 359 are for economic support for the Allies by the United States, but a still larger number, 396 are opposed to fighting. 391 are of the opinion that this country is in no danger of invasion in case of a German victory.

To the last question, "Do you favor old pensions" the class, almost halt of whose members have over $10,000 in life insurance, voted "No," 113 to 61