AYRES NOW AT RIGHT TACKLE

Pfister Shifted to Blocking Back as Harlow Shuffles Team

By Donald Peddle

More position shifting was the order of the day as Dick Harlow continued to strike a combination which would utilize the 15 or 16 grade A football players he has this year to the best possible advantage. Burgy Ayres was given a crack at right tackle, and Dick Pflster was moved into the blocking back spot.

Pflster, a running guard by trade, was no sooner nicely settled in Tom Healey's old shoes at right tackle on Thursday afternoon when quarterback George Heiden came up with a head bump which will keep him out of action until Monday. That injury stripped the red jersey squad of blocking backs so Pfister was quickly reconverted into one.

Two More Red Jerseys

Dick Harlow doled out two more red jerseys yesterday afternoon, the recipients being Senior tackle Pete Elser and Sophomore bucking back Mort Waldstein. Elser will be Vern Miller's understudy at left tackle, and Waldstein joins Bill Brown to give relief for Joe Gardella.

Yesterday afternoon's scrimmage was confined mostly to passing, but this morning the squad is slated to go through a stiff contact workout. Charley Spreyer has taken part in all the work for the last couple of days, and he ought to be able to catch up with the rest of the squad after today's scrimmage.

111 Yardlings Report

One hundred and eleven Freshmen, slightly more than last year, greeted head coach Chief Boston and his assistant Joe Nee on their first day as Yardling mentors. Practice was confined to shaking the kinks out in preparation for more serious work to start next week.

Bobby Green, sixty-minute end and captain of the 1938 eleven, will coach the Freshman ends. In his absence yesterday Clark Hodder took care of the wingmen.

Short on Centers

As listed yesterday there were 18 ends, 17 tackles, 22 guards, and 48 backs. Centers presented the main shortage, with only six Freshmen registering as pivots. Shifts were made, however, for eight full teams ran through signals before the end of practice.

Tackles Rollin Fisher, a 200-pounder from Andover, and the son of Robert P. Fisher, who coached Varsity elevens from 1919 to 1925, and George Hibbard, a 218-pound Brookline High product, bolster a line which seems lighter than usual. Charles Cowen, a fullback from Exeter, and Walter Wilson, Mercersburg halfback, are backfield candidates with fine prep school athletic records