American Student Defense League To Organize Military Drill Here

Seniors Form Local Chapter; Hold Open Meeting on Friday

With "arouse and prepare students for American defense" as their battle, cry, a group of Seniors last night announced the formation of a Harvard Chapter of the American Student Defense League.

The Organizing Committe of the Chapter has issued a call for all undergraduates to attend a meeting at 7:30 o'clock Friday evening in the Dunster House Common Room, at which permanent officers will be elected.

Langdon P. Marvin, Jr., '41, chairman of the Student Council, is serving as temporary chairman of the chapter. The organizing committee is composed of Richard S. Hartwell '41, Wingate Green Jr., '41, Charles O. Porter '41, Langdon Burwell '41, Seth Crocker '41, Woodrow P. Sternberg '41, John M. London '41, William C. Wigglesworth '41, and Thomas Winship '42.

To Discuss Preparations for Defense

As explained last night by the organizing committee, the principal purposes of the American Student Defense League are to discuss various problems arising out of the European war and to help prepare students for defense.

Although the program of the Chapter will not be worked out in detail until after the organizational meeting on Friday, present plans call for voluntary drills at which students will have an opportunity to learn the rudiments of military training.

Organized by Students

Entirely student organized, the Harvard Chapter of the American Student Defense League is not under faculty guidance, although it has received some faculty advice.

It was not indicated last night to what extend the R.O.T.C. or other military organizations were prepared to cooperate with the Defense League.

Seven Committee to Be Chosen

At the meeting Friday, details for the military training program will be worked out and permanent committees will be chosen. Present plans provide for the selection of a Forum Committee to arrange for lectures by outside speakers; a House Discussion Committee; a Publications Committee, which will arrange publicity; a Finance Committee; a Committee on Correspondence, which will keep in touch with A.S.D.L. Chapters in other colleges; a Radio and Speakers Committee; and a Training Committee, which will arrange the afternoon military drills.