PROGRAMS, EXHIBITS OBSERVE WILLIAM JAMES' ANNIVERSARY

Philosophy and Psychology Departments Plan Features

The 100th anniversary of the birth of William James '63, famous Harvard professor of Philosophy, on Sunday, January 11, is being commemorated, with various observances, by the College's Philosophy and Psychology Departments. Brother of novelist Henry James, the noted philosopher did valuable work in analytic psychology and brought forth the doctrine of pragmatism.

Colleges all over the country are joining in these commemorative programs, and many such observances have already taken place, with Harvard Faculty members cooperating.

In a special commemorative program to be held on Sunday at the University of Wisconsin, J. Seelye Bixler, Bussey Professor of Theology and president-elect of Colby College, will give an address on "William James as Religious Thinker."

Exhibits in Widener, New York

Exhibits of James' works and letters are now being displayed in Widener Library and in the Harvard Club of New York. The Widener exhibition features autographed letters, manuscripts, a few pages of his diary, some sketches made by James in his youth, when he had artistic aspirations, and a few of his caricatures.

Centered around a few books comprising the William James collection of the College Library, the Harvard Club exhibit will be on display throughout the month of January.

The Department of Psychology has also planned a few observances. A professional group of over 2,000 members the American Psychological Association has been invited to meet in Boston and Cambridge for its 50th annual meeting September 2-5, 1942.

An associate of James, Edward L. Thorndike, dean of American psychologists, has been appointed William James lecturer for the first semester of 1942-43.

James Symposlum Set

In the second semester, the Psychology Department in cooperation with various members of the University, is planning a symposium on James and the psychology of the present.

Earlier in the school year, there were two other meetings which honored the noted professor, the Conference on Methods in Philosophy and the Sciences, held November 23, 1941, at the New School for Social Research in New York, and the 41st annual meeting of the American Philosophical Society, held December 29, 1941, at Vassar College, Poughkeepsie, New York, presented Ralph B. Perry, professor of Philosophy, brother of novelist Henry James.

Widener Library's William James Collection will be moved to the new Rare Book Library, now under construction, when that building is opened some time this winter.

Twenty six years a Harvard Philosophy professor, James left the University in 1907, and his death came in 1910. Most of his philosophical treatises were written in this period of teaching. He served in the Civil War and was wounded at Fort Wagner.