Widener Delivery Desk Contributes Candidate to Cambridge Elections

Frank J. Davy '39 Among 84 Nominees to Council

"I can't promise any lower tax rate in Cambridge in the immediate future, but I will say that the taxpayer will get more for his dollar. I want to buck the theory that politics are absolutely crooked."

So said Harvard's latest hat contributor to the political ring, Frank J. Davy '39, as he busily stamped piles and piles of books in Widener, where he works at the delivery desk.

A government major while he was in College, Davy will be among the 84 aspirants to a city councillor's job when Cantabrigians troop to the polls to vote under Plan E on November 4.

Hopes for Election

"Why do I want to go into politics? Because I want to show the citizens of Cambridge that I can do a good clean job of government without being tied down by partisan interests," said the dapper young man between stampings. "I think I have a good chance of getting elected, even though if does mean covering practically every house in the city personally."

Since the list of candidates is so large, there is little opportunity or reason for mudslinging. A number of prominent and ex-prominent local men have filed nomination papers with the election commission, on the chance that their old-time reputation and contacts will carry them through. Familiar names include Mickey "the Dudo" Sullivan, present councilman and colorful character who has often figured in the news in connection with his anti-Communist, anti-Lampoon, anti-Harvard outbursts.

Hits Street Department

"One of the most inefficiently run departments in Cambridge," stated the Widener nominee, "is the street department. It needs more supervision. Snow removal should be planned more carefully, and there is an opportunity to save a lot of money that way. Now they fear up a street to run in a pipe, and leave it up most of the year? This last remark referred to the means condition of Kirkland Street near the New Lecture Hall last fall and winter.