'42 DRAFTEES GET MID - YEAR DEGREES

NROTC Seniors Can Apply Under Ruling

Taking advantage of the Administration's go-ahead on three and a half year degrees aimed primarily at drafted Seniors, a very limited number of N.R.O.T.C. students will attempt to finish up their College work in order to join the Navy by mid-winter.

No call has been issued by the Navy Department for a speed-up in college training courses, since the V-7 cruises have so far been able to satisfy any extraordinary demands for officers that have arisen from time to time. Fourth-year N.R.O.T.C. men are acting on their own initiative when they apply for mid-year degrees.

The Navy Department has as yet issued no official policy with respect to officers-in-training in the college programs who want to complete their requirements early. But applicants will have to satisfy N.R.O.T.C. officials before the Administrative Board will pass on their applications.

Few Expected to Apply

The difficulty of condensing a full year's work, not only in the Officers' Training Course but in the College courses as well, into a half year prevents all but a few would-be officers from attempting to win their sheepskins and their commissions half-way through the Senior year. At present only four or five men in the naval training course are expected to apply for the early degrees.

Since the Navy is expanding as rapidly as possible to meet threats in two oceans, the officers who are commissioned in three and a half years will be automatically taken off the list of reserves and put on active duty.