Crimson Harriers Meet Powerful Indian, New Hampshire Teams

Forecasts Pick Indians To Win

Dartmouth will bring one of its greatest cross country teams in history to Cambridge on Friday to compete against Harvard and New Hampshire in a four and one-half mile race over the Harvard varsity course along the Charles River. The race will start at at 3:40 over the 5.1 miles course at the Middlesex Fells Reservation in West Medford.

The freshman teams of the three colleges will race over a two and seven-tenths miles course around the horse track on Soldiers Field Road, starting at the same time.

Dartmouth is expected to take the varsity event, with Captain Sid Bull '42 and Don Burnham, a sensational sophomore, finishing one-two. Bob Williams '43 is given a good chance to place third.

Bull, Burnham Are Lightning

Bull is one of the best runners ever to compete for the Big Green. A year ago he placed first in the Harvard-Dartmouth-New Hampshire cross country, and took second in the Heptagonal Meet. This fall against Colgate, he broke the Dartmouth cross country course record over the five miles distance. He eased in behind Burnham, the winner, who set a course record of 23:19. Burnham has had a phenomenal record both at Dartmouth and as a prep school star, having done 1:53 for the 880 before entering college.

Bob Williams, running for the Indians as a freshman in 1938, set a Harvard freshman course record of 13:22 for two and seven-tenths miles. The same year he did 4:20 for the mile, a time which he has bettered frequently in practice. Another outstanding competitor for the Big Green is Bill Uptegrove '42, who won the mile against Harvard last spring.

Last Year's Score

Last year's varsity cross country score was Harvard 27, Dartmouth 55, and New Hampshire 61.

Coach Harry Hillman will enter Captain Sid Bull, Bill Uptegrove, Don Burnham, Bob Williams, Charles Richardson, Dick Whiting, John Hughes, Bob Ehinger, Larry Waterbury, and Mal Corner. This fall Dartmouth has defeated Vermont 21-36 and Colgate 19-45.

Coach Paul Sweet of New Hampshire, whose team has lost to Maine 22-34 and to Rhode Island 15-54, will enter Captain Roland Kimball, Howie Atwell, Dick Emery, John French, Earle Handley, Roy Holmes, Wayne Lorwy, Truxton Perry-Smith, Joe Pushee, and Jim Sleeper.

Coach Jaako Mikkola of Harvard, whose team has defeated Boston University 15-50 and Holy Cross 21-48, will start Captain Kay Rogers, Bob Jay, Bob Houghton, John Sopka, Bob Kent, Fred Phinney, Don McCaul, Tom McElligott, Tim Coggeshall, and Bill Palson, who won the Holy Cross meet.

College Entries

Dartmouth freshman entries will be Pete Tewksbury, Phil Gray, Tom Candler, Jack Halstead, Dick Tracy, Dave McAuliffe, John Watkins, A. C. Black, Graeme, Maclay, and Evan Goltra.

New Hampshire freshman entries will be Keith Birdsall, Walter Biery, Oscar Brown, Charles Carlson, Ray Churchill, Art Currier, Dick Dodge, Martin Feuerstein, Hans Hanson, and Rudolph Honkria.

Harvard freshman entries will be Captain James McCulloch, Russell Farrington, Dick Bryan, Ed French, Hans Hachman, Hugh McCaffrey, John Shea, Waldo Lyon Max Pineua, and Paul Coggins.