Yardling Basketball Team Beats Northeastern 67 60

Mike Keene Chosen Captain After Game

Putting on their usual second half spurt, the Freshman basketball team displayed a beautiful passing attack and the brand of basketball that enabled them to come through their first two games unscathed in defeating a tough Northeastern team last night 67 to 60 in the Indoor Athletic Building. After the game the team went into a huddle and elected center Mike Keene, of Indianapolis, Indiana and Matthews Hall, for the '41-'42 season.

The Yardlings were behind 20 to 14 at the end of the first quarter in spite of Dean Hennessey's 10 points, but three quick field goals by Frank Bixler brought the Crimson into a 35 to 35 tie as the half ended.

Bixler High Scorer

With the two teams battling tooth and nail, the lead see-sawed back and forth in the third quarter until timely field goals by Hennessey and Bixler put the Crimson Freshmen out in front with a lead that they didn't relinquish for the rest of the game.

Bixler combined 11 field goals with three foul shots to lead the Yardlings with 25 points, and Hennessey was close behind with 20. Marchand had 16 points and La Fleur had 13 for the Husky scoring honors.

The whole squad of 17 voted in the election of Keene as team captain. Along with his roommate, Bixler, Keene played three years for Park School in Indianapolis. He is a National Scholarship student.

A special cheering section from Matthews Hall livened up proceedings with a wide repertoire of very original cheers directed at the three players on the Yardling team from Matthews, Keene, Bixler and Hennessey.

The Crimson summary is as follows:   gls  fls  pts Hennessey, r.f.  7  6  20 Bixler, l.f.  11  3  25 Keene, c.  3  0  6 Richards, r.g.  1  1  3 De Leo, l.g.  3  0  6 Forster  3  1  7 Rudman  0  0  0 Smart  0  0  0   --  --  --   28  11  67