HOPPER SAYS YOUTH FIT TO SETTLE PEACE

New Group Hears Friedman Ames on Post-War Plans

Filling Dunster House Large Common Room last night, perspective members of the new Harvard Council on Post-War Problems heard Bruce C. Hopper '18, associate professor of Government, describe their future work as important because their decisions will be "fresher, more audacious, more willing to admit drastic solutions to post-war issues" than the "woolly-headed, emotional adult committees" that now clutter the scene.

With the hope of insuring later nation-wide expansion, John W. Ballantine '42, chairman, organized the Council into four investigating committees, whose work will be carried out through individual research and weekly roundtable discussions. Committee heads, who will still sign up interested students, outlined their fields.

Work of Committees Planned

Maurice Friedman '43, told the audience that his committee on International Political Problems will survey the methods of reorganizing the world on a peace-maintaining, democratic basis. A sound reorganization of world trade and economy confronts the committee on International Economic Problems, headed by Edward Ames '42.

That American energy developed by the war may result in a new social system will be discussed under the direction of George Clay '43 by the committee on Domestic Problems. Directed by Paul C. Sheeline '43, the committee on Ideological Problems will seek ways to persuade the peoples of totalitarian countries to cooperate in a democratic set-up.

Hopper Says Aims Essential

"To win over the peoples of Germany and its oppressed nations," declared Professor Hopper, "we must make our war aims as concrete as the Nazi blue-print. Doing this would keep us from making war decisions in crises that would be disastrous to world peace later on."

Britain's present aim, he added, is to establish a Reconstruction Committee to revive devasted nations and give war emotions a chance to settle, before attempting any type of written agreement.

"America will need experts in all fields," Professor Hopper asserted, "to carry out this years-long program. That is when students who study the peace now will be able to fill the bill."