Kiphuth's Caravan of Swim Stars Cavort Against Crimson Tonight

ELI RELAY TEAM OUT FOR RECORD

By David B. Stearns

Seldom in the past has Yale's Coach Klphuth brought such a superlative array of swimming talent to Cambridge for the annual meet as the 33-man, star-studded squad which he totes along with him from New Haven for tonight's meet in the Indoor Athletic Building pool.

Led by the world record breaking relay quartet of Johnson, Pope, Britton and Sanburn, the Eli mermen have barrelled through an undefeated dual meet season without being extended.

If only on the strength of their 55 to 20 win over the Ulenmen last year and their 53 to 22 victory over Princeton last week, the Elis can be rated prohibitive favorites to overwhelm the Crimson finners by sheer power tonight. Princeton gave Harvard its only setback of the year in the meet at Tigertown several weeks ago.

Nevertheless the contest promises to be a lot more than a drab "one-two for the Blue" affair. Coach Ulen has a sprinkling of individual stars on whom he is counting to upset the dope-cart in several events.

In the furlong, plucky Francis Powers, captain and leading scorer of the Crimson will be up against two of a trio of the country's speediest middle distance men, Captain Sanburn, Howie Johnson and Rene Chouteau. Powers is undefeated in this event so far this year and his best time, 2:15.4, is only a shade over Sanburn's fastest clocking, 2:14.8

Johnson and Sanburn may, however, be withheld completely from this event in order to conserve their energy for another shot at the world record in the final relay. At least it would be an easy feat for them to clip several seconds off the 3:33.2 pool record held by Charlie Hutter and Co.