Declaration of War Aims Asked by Forum

"That the United States and Great Britain should declare their general war aims immediately" was the prevailing sentiment of the six speakers at the Dunster House forum, held last night and sponsored by the non-interventionist Committee for Democratic Action.

First speaker of the evening was Carl E. Schorske, Teaching Fellow in History, who said that England's only war aim now was the defeat of Hitlerism, at best a rather short-sighted purpose. Robert G. Davis, instructor in English, following Schorske, suggested that, if war aims are not stated immediately, any peace following an English victory will be an attempt to reestablish the status quo in Europe.

As third speaker, Paul M. Sweezy, instructor in Economics, talked on the effects of American participation in the war. Both he and another speaker, Caleb Smith, instructor in Economics, took the strongest stand on having war aims published as soon as possible.

Among the non-partisans who talked were William E. Hocking, Alford Professor of Natural Religion, and Benjamin F. Wright, associate professor of Government. Hocking and Wright advocated a peace based on security and political equivalence for both Germany and Great Britain and a new, more just world economy.