PETERSON NOT REAPPOINTED

Budget Cut Compels '44 Swimming Coach to Leave

As a result of the recent cut in the Athletic Association's budget, Larry A. Peterson has been dismissed from his position as coach of the Freshman swimming team, it was learned yesterday.

Peterson has been coaching the Yardling swimmers for five years during which he has chalked up an exceedingly good record, having won 42 meets, lost 11, and tied one since he came here in 1936. In his opening year, his team overwhelming defeated Yale to complete an undefeated season.

Also Coaches Divers

In addition to being coach of the Freshman swimmers, 39-year-old Peterson is also Varsity diving mentor and is chiefly responsible for Varsity divers Shaw McCutcheon and Brad Patterson, who, before coming under Peterson's tutelage, had never dove in competition. This year, he succeeded in converting Freshman swimming Captain John D. Eusden from a mere beginner into a swimmer who has reportedly done 54.6 for the 100-yard free style.

Previous to his stay at Harvard, Peterson acted as an instructor in swimming while studying at Western Reserve College in Ohio, after which he coached for an additional 15 years in Cleveland.

The dismissal will mean that Varsity mentor Hal Ulen will have to coach both Freshman and Varsity swimmers next year and that Frank Vaughan, assistant to Ulen, will have to take all swimming classes.