Two Instructors Win Guggenheim Awards

Two English instructors and three College graduates were among the 85 recipients of $2500 fellowships from the Guggenheim Memorial Foundation which annually assists the research and creative work of "persons of unusual ability."

One of three Fellows studying English and Canadian literature, Mark Schorer, Briggs-Copeland Instructor in English Composition, will prepare a book on the relationship between ideas and forms in the poetry of William Blake.

English A section man Gordon N. Ray will work on a "definitive edition" of the letters and private papers of William Makepeace Thackeray. Both men will officially begin work on July 1, and will not teach here next year.

Alumni Winners

Of the alumni, Arthur J. Marder '31, author of the currently popular book "The Anatomy of British Sea Power," will continue his research into the decade prior to World War I. Oliver La Farge '24, a Pulitzer Prize winner in 1929, has been given a fellowship with which he plans to write a novel.

The only Harvard scientist to receive an award is Wilson M. Powoll '26, now a professor of Physics at Kenyon College in Ohio, who will make observations on atomic reactions at high altitudes.

Also among the fellows are four refugees from Europe; an Italian archaeologist, an Austrian novelist, a German psychologist, and a Polish mathematician, all described by the Guggenheim donors as "outstanding" men.