BASEBALL TEAM HEADS SOUTH TO MEET STRONG OPPONENTS

Pitchers, Infielders Show Promise in Early Workouts

By Jay K. Lazrus

Faced with a difficult five game schedule over the vacation, the baseball team, 16 strong, will leave Sunday morning for the South. Although the nine has been working out for the last month and a half in Briggs Cage, the Southern hitters, who have already been training outdoors, are two jumps ahead of the Stahlmen, so the outlook is rather doubtful.

The infield is well balanced, centering around shortstop-Captain Freddy Keyen and second-sacker Bart Harvey, who shows great promise though the polish is still lacking. Veterana Gil Whittemore at third and Bill Tully at first round out the infield.

Buckley Certain

In the outfield, Ed Buckley is a fixture in right, but since Lou Clay in left and Bill Hausserman or Bill Barnes in center are uncertain, there is bound to be much experimenting on the trip.

Pitching, a weak point last year, ought to improve with the return of Charlie Brackett and Johnny Schwede, both definitely better than last year. Burgy Ayres, a late starter because of hockey, undoubtedly will also see action, for he is touted as the leading pitcher this season. Catching for these hurlers will be Bob Regan who gets the nod over Bill Parsons.