Timilty Blames Crime Wave on Newspapers

Sensational Stories Increase Sex Mania, Police Head Says

Boston's Police Commissioner Joseph Timilty blasted Boston newspapers yesterday in a lecture at the Business School when he blamed the sensationalizing of sex crimes as responsible for the recent marked increase in atrocities in Boston.

"A certain type of people who read that get it imbedded in their minds and go out and commit such crimes," Timilty declared. He gave as an example the publication of a recent atrocity story which was followed the next day by the unprecedented record of 40 similar outrages.

40,000 Drunks a Year

"I believe that there are more drunks in Boston than any other city," he asserted, calling attention to the fact that his department arrested 40,000 inebriates last year.

Of more pleasant duties, Timilty revealed that "censorship is the one job I like very much." When he admitted that he found it necessary to ask Sally Rand "to put a little more on" recently, his audience showed signs of distinct disapproval. "You're hissing me only because I got there first,' was the Commissioner's retort.