Self-Service, Fixed Meal Rates Subject of House Vote Today

ADMINISTRATION SUPPORTS COUNCIL PROPOSAL TO LOWER FOOD PRICES

All House members will be asked today in a special Student Council poll whether they would favor the introduction of a compulsory 21-meal rate or the establishment of a self-service system in the House dining halls.

Both changes are backed by a large section of the Administration as well as several members of the Student Council as the only effective means of reducing the board rate. If they meet with undergraduate approval, they will be very possibly put into effect next fall.

Under the present system, students may choose from three meal contracts which include a full quota of 21 meals for $10, 14 meals for $8,50, or ten for $7.50. With a new compulsory board rate, 21 meals would be $1.00 cheaper, while those who now sign up for the lower-price-fewer-meal options would pay fifty cents and $1.50 respectively for rating an additional seven or eleven meals.

On the other hand, the introduction of the cafeteria self-service system, effective except for the weekly House dinners, would lower each of the present optional rates to $9.00, $7.75, and $7.0, in that order.

With a combination of the two suggestions, the weekly price for 21 meals would be $8.00, or $2.00 less than at present.

Six Questions Asked

In the 1750 questionnaires being distributed in the House dining rooms throughout the day, six questions have been phrased thus:

1. What is your weekly rate?

2. Are you in favor of introducing self-service alone?

3. Are you in favor of the standard 21-meal rate for all people in the Houses--i.e. $9.00?

4. Are you in favor of a combination of self-service plus the standard 21-meal rate of $8.00?

5. How many meals a week, on the average, do you eat outside the Houses, (10.14, 6-10, 3-6, less than 3)?

6. Is it essential to you that you take this number of meals outside the House.

These money-saving remedies are the most recent of Student Council suggestions which have included the hiring of an efficiency expert and dietitian and an increase in kitchen efficiency.