Five Upsets Dartmouth, 49-36

Burditt Top Scorer As Romano Is Hurt

By Bill Elser

Perhaps mindful of last fall's stunning upset on the gridiron, another underdog Crimson squad assumed the hero's role in a David and Goliath battle, defeating the highly-touted Big Green of Dartmouth, 49 to 36, to gain its first victory in Ivy League Competition last Saturday.

It was not the same team that fell before the weaker opposition of Cornell by a score of 31 to 27 the night before. Overnight the Crimson changed from an erratic, ragged five to a swift-passing, sure-fire combination that handed Dartmouth its second defeat after the Big Green had romped over such teams as Fordham, Wisconsin, Vermont, and Seton Hall.

Romano Out for Month

But the victory also had its sad aspect when little Joe Romano got the worst of a struggle for the ball with Captain Stub Pearson of the Indians. The flashy forward tore a ligamont in his knee near the end of the first half and will be out of action for the next three or four weeks. He was treated for the injury Saturday night and will be treated again today.

Individually, Bunks Burditt, last year's Freshman captain, was the star of the evening, playing a full 40 minutes and running up a total of 21 points. His center pivots and off-the-backboard play ran the big Jim Olsen and two of his reliefs ragged in their vain efforts to halt the hard-playing Sophomore. Defensively, Burditt held the usually high-scoring Dartmouth center to a lone field goal.

Lutz, Webber Shine

Along with Bunks Burditt, shifty Chick Lutz was another big menace to the Dartmouth five. The small forward was popping one hand shot from all positions around the basket, to-talling eleven in all for the evening. His forward partner, Billy Webber, also deserves credit, being, along with Burditt, the busiest and hardest-fighting player on the court.

Coach Earl Brown sought to offset the Indian's advantage in height when he started three of his biggest boys. Six feet, three inch "Bunks" Burditt faced Jim Olsen, Dartmouth's six feet, five inch center, and Big Ed Roth-schild and 6 feet, 2 1/4 inch Don Lutz took the guard posts.

Second Team Starts

The night before, the Crimson blew a 14 to 4 lead, built up by the second stringers, to fall 31 to 27 before Cornell's Big Red. Coach Earl Brown pulled some surprise strategy in starting the second team, but the first five had an "off" night and permitted the Ithacans to depart with a four point victory.

The Crimson's loss to Cornell combined with their win over Dartmouth gives them a 500 average in the Ivy League, second to the Ithacans who now have two victories without defeat.