Seeded Men Win In Tennis Tourney

Freedman will Meet Sands; Red Cross Matches Played

All seeded men advanced in the preliminary rounds of the University Tennis Tournament with little trouble and the third round is scheduled to be completed today. Bob Freedman, former number one man and New England Intercollegiate champion, went into the second round where he will play Gene Sands, winner of the Freedman tournament last fall.

On the basis of his tie with Al Everts for the University championship last fall, Freedman is seeded number one. He and Everts split sets, but they never played off the third set after postponing it that day. Everts is not entered this fall, so Freedman is in the spot-light.

Jenkins Wins Twice

Varsity Captain Jim Jenkins, seeded number two, made his way into the third round with victories over Irv Fried, 6-0, 6-4 and Dick Beyer, 6-3, 6-0. Varsity players Ted. Cohn and Hugh Hyde won their first round matches also, Cohn beating Joe Green, 6-0, 6-1, and Hyde taking Al Freedman 6-3, 6-0.

Mal Moley, seeded Freshman from California, defeated Bob Hoskins 6-1, 6-2. Charley Greenspan was the only entry to reach the fourth round. After Dick Sorlien, Varsity number four man last spring and winner of the New England Intercollegiate Doubles Championship with Hyde, defaulted because of a cold to Me Kessel, Greenspan then defeated Kessel 6-2, 4-6, 7-5.

Red Cross Tourney In Semis

The Red Cross Tournament, begun this summer, now has three semi-finalists. Moley plays John Zinsser who scored a quarter-final win over Stacy Hill, former Dartmouth captain now at the Business School; and Sorlien meets the winner between John Burton and Greenspan.

Moley earned his semi-final berth with a decisive victory, over Lin Burton, former Varsity player, 6-1, 6-2, in the second round and then a default in the third.

John T. Dunlop, instructor in Economics, who lost to Everts in the finals of the University tournament this summer, has defaulted in this tourney as well as in the present fall University tournament.