Garland, Cowen and Cummings May Not Be Able to Face Tigers

Forte Will Probably See Action Saturday

By Irvin M. Horowitz

Like Pinocchio's nose, the Crimson injury grows longer and longer. Yesterday three key men were added to the roster of those "who may or may not play Saturday," when it was revealed that bruises of various natures have sidelined Pete Garland, Tom Cowen, and Len Cummings.

Garland and Cummings, both right ends, turned in bang-up performances against the men of West Point Saturday, and Cowen, now ensconsed in the top fullback slot, was a full-time operative in the Crimson's puttering offense, so all three men are vital performers. Even if they are ready for the Princeton tussle, lack of weekday scrimmage will not make their tasks any easier.

Anderson Still Out

Swede Anderson, a sixty minute man before a fever forced him to give way to George Waters and Henry Goethals, is still among those absent, and his status is also indefinite.

With two right ends out, Harlow would seemingly have an impossible problem on his hands. But Captain Don Forte, who has seen no action at all this fall, seems slated to make his debut this week. Brought along very slowly, Don should be scrimmaging tomorrow, and if all goes well he will probably be very much in evidence against the Tigers.

Smith Ready for Action

Sid Smith is also expected back on duty for today's contact session. Smith's leg injury is just about healed, and another addition to an undermanned guard squad is always welcome.

Player-of-the-week was the title bestowed last night by sports announcer. Bump Hadley on Russ Stannard, who was converted to guard last week in the most-closely guarded football secret since Chub Peabody's hospitalization the week of the Yale game last fall.

Varsity at Movies

Yesterday's practice, somewhat shoddy because of weather conditions, found Harlow working with a makeshift squad. He sent his entire Varsity squad to the movies, and worked with the rest of the team on a dummy scrimmage against Princeton plays. There was a short contact session, and some kicking practice. Today the scrimmages should begin in earnest.

Wingback Gordy Lyle, who has been hidden behind Bill Wilson and Cleo O'Donnell, should see considerably more action for the rest of the season. Always a star in practice session, Lyle has shown a great deal of talent in his recent performances against Dartmouth and Army.

Punting Better

Saturday's statistics show that Harlow will have at least one less worry comes Saturday. Harvard punting, an erratic department this season, has finally come into its own.

Against Army, three Crimson punters averaged 45 yards on nine kicks. Wally Flynn, as usual, was the pacemaker, with a 47 yard average, but Jackie Comerford, who booted five times, averaged 41.2, and Don Richards, whose previous efforts had already bettered 30 yards, came up with two punts that totalled 86 yards.