Harvard Service Fund

This is the first of a series of articles explaining the use of funds which will be collected by the Harvard Service Fund Drive opening next Monday.

Phillips Brooks House

One of Harvard's most practical contributions to the needs of the community as a whole, and one which means more to the average citizen of greater Boston than all the educational brilliance of the College or its famous professors, is the inconspicuous, but vital work done by Phillips Brooks House. A great part of this work is made possible by an allotment to PBH from the Harvard Student Fund.

Until 1926 PBH ran its own separate drive in which it attempted to collect $4000 from the student body. Soon the Student Council offered to do the actual canvassing, guaranteeing an average of $4000, later out to $3000. In 1936 a sliding scale was established which is still in force. Under this plan 45 per cent of the money collected in the actual drive is given to PBH.

Money for Expenses

Money contributed to PBH by students through the Student Council drive is used only for running expenses. The largest item by far in the total PBH budget is the annual telephone bill, bookkeeping expenses, and the salary of one of the stenographers, along with the purchase of all stenographic supplies. This annually amounts to about $1000.

Several hundred dollars is given every year to relieve the needs of people of the community at Christmas and Thanksgiving time. Probably the most interesting item of all is the little-known Phillips Brooks House loans, amounting to about a thousand dollars. These loans are granted without interest to students who cannot get money anywhere else. Forty per cent of the loans are not repaid, but without these loans, many a student's College career would be abruptly ended.

The expected income of PBH, including donations from the Faculty and Alumni, as well as the Service Fund, is $5350. Out of this money, besides maintaining the offices, all the work of PBH must be financed not only in the community but also in the College.

Most important of PBH functions in the eyes of undergraduates are the annual teas at the beginning of each fall term, and a Freshman's first contact with the College is likely to be through the agency of PBH. The PBH handbook has saved many a Freshman from disaster his first few days at Harvard, and represents an annual expense of $300. The Medical and Law Schools, as well as other Graduate Schools benefit from PBH funds.

Community Work

The work which has won PBH its name in the community, however, has not been teas for the undergraduates. It has been educational and recreational work done in settlement houses in Boston under the direction of PBH. In addition to teaching trades or leading sports, student social workers often tutor individuals or lead larger classes.

With the advent of the war, the demand upon PBH has risen greatly.

One of its rooms, for instance, serves now as a center for members of the Navy Training School and their wives. Draft Board 47 has long maintained its quarters in the basement of the building. The work which is done by PBH in all its aspects is made possible by yearly contributions from students. Faculty, and Alumni, and by far the largest part of this depends on the amount which can be allotted from the Harvard Service Fund.