Crimson Booters Nose Out Bruins

Team Breaks 1-1 Deadlock, Scoring Twice in Overtime

Facing a great deal more difficulty from an underdog Brown eleven than was generally expected, the Varsity soccer team was forced to go into two overtime periods to win, 3-1. At the same time, the newly-formed Jayvee squad subdued the Brown Jayvees, 1-0.

It was the presence of three Freshmen in the Varsity lineup that meant the difference between victory and defeat for the men under Jim MacDonald, for center half Dave Ogden, outside forward Bob Scully, and inside forward Ed Close each played over three quarters, plugging the holes in the injury-ridden Crimson aggregation.

The scoring opened in the second period, when Jack Calhoun took a pass from Hank Murphy to ram a shot into the Bruin goal. Up to that time, the men in brown had displayed a brand of soccer that belied their mediocre record. With a defense close to impregnable, the Bruins held off the Crimson offense and carried the play into Harvard territory.

Bruins Tie Game Up

In the third quarter the Brown eleven finally knotted the count, with center forward Bud Keppler denting the twines midway in the period. And from this point on, the teams were deadlocked in a furious battle to push the deciding marker across.

When the final gun had sounded, the tally was still 1-1. The two coaches decided to enter two five-minute overtime periods, and the play was opened with the first of the Crimson's two late goals. Jack Calhoun broke the tie with a goal following an accurate corner kick from Eli Berman, stellar outside forward. The outcome was made clear when Jack Dixon took a pass from outside forward Paul Morgan and tallied the Varsity's third goal.