Balance in Mental, Physical Training Sought by Lupien

Conditioning Plan Considered Success

"There's a lot more to physical conditioning than just trying to put an extra inch on your biceps," asserted Ulysses J. "Tony" Lupien '39, a regular on the Boston Red Sox team and 1938 captain of the Harvard nine.

Lupien, who has been giving student conditioning classes here at College their daily workout since the close of the professional baseball season, said yesterday that he was very enthusiastic about the success of the new exercise program.

Commenting on what he thought should be the goal of the war preparation measure, the Red Sox first baseman said that any physical fitness program should aim at "coordination as well as muscle building." "In wartime as well as in peacetime both mental and physical development are of the utmost importance," he said. "We must be sure that we get a proper balance between the two."

Asked whether he thought any particular sport or type of sport should be recommended, Lupien declared that individual workouts were just as valuable in rounding a man's physical character and personality as team athletics. To illustrate what he meant by this, he pointed to Norman W. Fradd, assistant director of physical education here. "His enthusiastic personality and physique should be an inspiration to everybody," he said.

In fact, this flexibility, Lupien said, was one of the most impressive things about the University's conditioning program. "Here a man can get individual or team workouts at any time." Physical fitness should become increasingly important in peacetime as well as wartime, the former Harvard baseball captain believes, but we should be ever cautious lest we destroy the "balance."

Although the future of major league baseball is still uncertain, "Scrap Iron". Lupien says that he hopes to go back to the Sox if the team plays next year.