Crimson Catches Wesleyan Quintet by 63-46 Margin

Burditt Chalks Up 25 Points, Sparks Play

By Irvin M. Horowitz

A change of defense and Captain "Bunks" Burditt's uncanny knack at caging pivot shots and drawing fouls enabled the Crimson hoopsters to come from behind and defeat a well-coached Wesleyan quintet 63 to 46 in the Indoor Athletic Building Saturday night.

Wes Fesler, who tutored the visitors, had his charges well grounded in the fundamentals of the court game, and when they discovered at the outset the nature of the Crimson's zone defense, they proceeded to pierce it in the best classic tradition.

Wesleyan Pulls Ahead

Aided by the height of center Rick Littell, the Red and Black cagers, with set shots and tip-ins, pulled out into an early lead of 14 to 8. After ten minutes of play, the Brownmen switched their tactics to a man-to-man defense, and things began to look up.

Burditt, who tallied 25 points before the evening was over, went to work from his pivot post, and with his peculiar under-handed bucket shot, succeeded in either drawing two fouls or dropping a deuce almost every time he was fed. George Dillon's hook shots from the foul line helped the Crimson rise, and a one-handed jump shot by Hugh Hyde with seconds remaining in the first half put them ahead 21 to 19 at intermission time.

Visitors Recover

The visitors made a short-lived comeback in the second half, sparked by peppery Joe Bornstein and Freshman Phil Dundas, but once Burditt's fouldrawing antics began to take their toll, and three Wesleyan cagers were ousted via the personal foul route, it was no contest. The departing Feslermen, Littell, Bur Mann, and "Moose" Allison, were gents of stature, and their loss proved costly to Wesleyan under the backboard.

As the rout assumed gigantic proportions, Brown removed Burditt, who caged nine of twelve fouls, and his cohorts, and the second five took over. Don Lutze played his usual strong defensive game, and Hugh Hyde's pivot shots in the Crimson's double-bucket system began to find the range later in the contest.

In a sloppy preliminary, Dick Warren led the Crimson Jayvees to a 40 to 29 triumph over the Chelsea Naval Hospital. The Harvard Varsity summary:   G  F  P Dillon, lf  4  0  8 Bixler  2  0  4 Hennessey  0  0  0 Fausler, rf  4  1  9 Axon  0  0  0 Richards  1  0  2 Burditt, c  8  9  25 Hyde, lg  4  3  11 Elken  1  0  2 Lutze, rg  1  0  2 Keene  0  0  0 Reade  0  0  0 Total  25  13  63