WAR CHIEFS DELAY ACTION; COLLEGE PREPARED TO FIGHT

No Further Reports On Reserves' Status

Reversing the situation of a year ago when it could be said, "University delays immediate action" as the nation "prepares to fight Axis," Dean Buck last night issued a statement announcing that the release of the manpower-college plan may be postponed for several days. No official clarification could be obtained either on the expected War Department rulings affecting the ERC and ROTC.

All the "news" floating through the dining halls last night was branded as unfounded rumor. No word has been received from any informed source revealing the fate of the universities or the reserve programs. Word from Washington hinted at indefinite delay, but when the news would break could not be ascertained.

Acting to ease the tension prevailing in the Houses, Dean Buck issued the following statement last night: "The information reaching this office regarding possible Army and Navy plans for use of the colleges indicates that public announcement of such plans may be delayed for some days. It also appears that certain published articles purporting to give details of a proposed plan are speculative in character and should not be taken by students as a basis for laying their future plans.

No Basis for Decision

"The authorities of the University understand thoroughly the confused position in which many students and themselves and will clarify the situation at the first possible moment after a decision by the government agencies involved permits."

Indications that the Manpower Commission plan for the colleges would be released yesterday afternoon were centered in Iowa City, where the head of the ROTC at the University of Iowa predicted that Washington would announce it.

Although such a statement has been imminent for the past weeks, last night's unforeseen delay extended the "period of transition" indefinitely.

Rumors that decisions on the ERC and the ROTC had been made public emanated from a morning Boston newspaper story and an evening radio broadcast. Attempts to trace the newspaper story through the wire services and the Boston and New York press failed to substantiate its statement that the Enlisted Reserve would be called up "within a few weeks." No basis for the radio report could be uncovered. Officials in the Military Science Department and at the First Corps Area Headquarters in Boston reported that they were uninformed of the rumored action.

The United Press announced a week ago Tuesday that McNutt's committee was studying the plan which would provide for scientific and some liberal arts training in the colleges. It was stated at the time that the plan would be made public after the universities had time to review it, and it was suggested that the Army and Navy would supervise, food, and clothe approximately 250,000 students