QMC STAGES TEST OF FIELD KITCHENS

Devens' Cooks Demonstrate Technique on Mobile Stoves

Two thousand Army and Navy officers stationed at Harvard gathered yesterday in the Stadium to witness a practical demonstration of military cooking under conditions in the field, arranged by the Quartermaster Corps School across the river.

Mobile field equipment was provided by the Fort Devens' Cook's and Baker's School and manned by experienced enlisted personnel under the watchful eye of Lieutenant R. M. Bobbie. Such field kitchens are standard equipment for troops in action.

Wonders Worked

Clad in white work uniforms two Army cooks demonstrated methods of preparing staple foods under trying conditions. A well balanced menu of pot rest and french fried potatoes was turned out in record time while high ranking officers watched with hungry approval. All men, however, were ushered out of the stadium without a taste of the freshly prepared meal.

The exhibition is part of the training program of the Quartermaster Corps detachment of cadets stationed at the Business School for training in the supplying and maintenance of the fighting forces of the Army.

Actual work of preparing food for troops will not be part of the duties of the future Quartermaster Corps officers, since this task is usually performed by specially trained detachments of enlisted personnel, and lately by groups of WAACS trained as bakers and cooks. The task of the Quartermaster Corps, however, will be to provide much of the supplies which will got to feed the troops.