CONANT STRESSES STRENGTH OF AXIS

Security Has Blinded Us To Facts, He Says in Chicago

Comparatively free and secure in a nation uniquely favored in its institutions and geography, the average American is able to realize neither the true strength of totalitarian nations nor the repugnance of their regimented system, President Conant said yesterday in a speech to the Chicago Association of Commerce.

This inability to realize the tremendous dangers to the country has developed a dangerous inertia which must be over-come immediately if we are to win the war.

"If popular opinion is always hanging back, suggesting that we do only this or that," President Conant declared, "restricting our operations to certain aims and certain areas; in short, fighting a half-out and not an all-out war, there can be little hope for a speedy victory.

"To insure the defeat of the Axis Powers there must be no limitation on our commitments," he said. "This is all one war. We may have to fight it on each of the seven seas and on each of the continents of the world."

Saying that there can be no question of compromise with the Axis because of their treacherous policies, he emphasized the danger of divided public opinion and told his audience that "not a single thing must be considered as of more importance than the winning of the war." For every mistake we make now, for every moment we waste, we shall pay the price in blood and toll in months to come, he said.