WAR CREATES NEW DESIGNS

War and its after-effects will compel architects and designers to use new materials in new ways, to plan expanding cities intelligently, and to simplify building and commercial design, breaking the rule of tradition and "style," said Samuel P. Hershey, instructor in design, on the Crimson Network last night.

As in the development of the modern airplane unhindered by traditional forms, Hershey declared that future design, from automobiles to houses, should be created "for our service and satisfaction" taking into account materials, need, and circumstances.

Trend to Simplicity

While the speed required now in building army cantonments necessitates a trend toward simplicity, the decentralization of urban centers which has been going on unchecked and unplanned should have an over-all scheme, he asserted.

Hershey conducts Architectural Sciences 1a and 2a which try to instill in pre-architectural students a feeling for the new design through acquaintance with all kinds of material, and new, not necessarily geometric, forms.