Stickmen Beaten 4-2 By Yale's Two Third Period Goals

Eli Goalie Stops 42 Shots From Crimson

By John C. Bullard

For a while Saturday night the Harvard third line was pushing Yale's first line all over the ice, and it looked as if the end of the hockey team's losing streak was in sight. Then two Eli goals in the last 10 minutes turned a previously closely contested game into a disappointing 4 to 2 victory for Yale.

The margin of victory for the Blue was a practically unbeatable goalie named Cord Meyer. His impregnability in the nets more than made up for the Harvard superiority in the forward lines, and time and again he thwarted what looked like certain Crimson goals.

A glance at the saves made by each goalie aptly summarizes the game. Meyer made 42 stops in all, while letting in only two goals. Ab Fenn, who played a very creditable game, had only 24. Even in the wild third period, when Yale scored three times to Harvard's two, the saves were five for Fenn and 13 for Meyer.

Such a comparison would be unfair to Fenn if it were not realized that Yale's scores came on jump plays with the Eli coming in on the goalie unopposed, where the advantage is all with the forward.

The Crimson, on the other hand, had only a very few of these opportunities, and most of the time the Yale defense succeeded in making accurate shooting quite difficult.

Paine's Goal Nullified

After a scoreless first period in which Harvard completely dominated the play, the puck Chasers apparently went ahead in the second, when Johnny Paine's long shot from the blue line penetrated Meyer's defense. The officials, however, ruled that a teammate had been in the crease in front of the net, and the goal was nullified. Soon after Yale scored when the failure of a Crimson center to cover his man resulted in a break which ended in a Yale score.

In spite of Harvard pressure, Yale made it 2 to 0, early in the third period, but "Gipper" Gebelein backhanded a rebound into the net at 8:27. Paine and Gordy McGrath received assists on the play. Then at 10:52 the second line tied it up on Marc Beebe's long shot. Earl Acker assisted.

Tired by 50 minutes of sustained, effort, the Crimson began to show the signs of wear and tear, and in the final 10 minutes the better conditioned Elis had little trouble in jumping the puck twice for easy goals