Free-Browder Meeting Planned for Tonight

Elizabeth Curley Flynn Will Speak in Emerson D

The case of Earl Browder, Communist Party General Secretary imprisoned four years for a passport violation, will have an airing here tonight when Elizabeth Gurley Flynn, Executive Secretary of the Citizens' Committee to Free Earl Browder, speaks in Emerson D at 7:30 o'clock.

Under the auspices of the Harvard Chapter of the Committee, the meeting will continue the work which has so far resulted in the signing by Faculty members and students of a petition asking President Roosevelt for executive clemency in the case.

Zechariah Chafee, Jr., Langdell Professor of Law, F. O. Matthiessen, associate professor of History and Literature, and Stanley W. Moore, instructor in Philosophy, are among the Faculty members who have signed. Students supporting the petition are Charles S. Bridge '42, Loren G. MacKinney '42, and Thomas Matters '43.

Basing its appeal on the excessively large penalty he received, the Committee maintains that Browder was jailed for his political beliefs rather than the violation.