The Persecution of the Harvard Man

Stories occasionally dribble in about young Harvard men that have a pretty tough time of it in the big, wide world. It is not at all rare for a beginner in a summer job to be addressed as "all you Harvard men" and to be bawled out in advance for any possible attempts to take over the establishment. And while the story about the Harvard seaman who was ordered up to polish the periscope while the submarine was submerged is probably a myth, the one about the draftee who was pelted with eggs has not yet received official denial. Apparently all went well until one morning when he was accosted by a delegation of his comrades who said, "A Harvard men, eh?" This tale even frightened a few of the local R.O.T.C. men.

It has long been known that the brand "Harvard man" was likely to occasion a sneer in various vague and distant quarters, something like "Princeton man," but not many have known that it was this bad. The local boys have tried hard enough to please. They have even done their bit of Hollywood, and a small group of them recently served as the main attraction at a meeting of the Jordan Marsh Chapter of the Ladies' Home Journal Sub-Deb Club. Nevertheless the frightful stories of persecutions continue to come and grow. The Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children should be informed of its.