Weather, Mil Sci Makes Sizing Up Of Trackmen Hard

Mikkola Hopes for Best Though Many Stars Gone

Although track coach Jaakko Mikkola hoped to get a better line on his 1942 outdoor squad as a result of the University Handicap Track Meet over the weekend; a combination of unfortunate circumstances made any sizing up impossible.

First, the bad weather, then the several postponements, and finally yesterday's Mil Sci drill made the meet a very haphazard affair. Drawing a picture of the team's future was well-nigh hopeless.

Losses Almost Vital

For the spring season, the team has lost its best half-milers, Rolla Campbell and Bill Young, the leading dash man Bill Trainor, a sparkling middle-distance man Frank McKechnie, the top hammer-thrower in Phil Zeigler, and, of course, Doug Pirnie, who could be counted on for 15 points in every meet.

But still Jaakko is "hopeful," "This is the most unusual team I have ever coached," he says. "I have the feeling that they will go out and do whatever you tell them to, and they have more team spirit and fight than any squad in my experience."

The final event of the elongated meet will be held today when the broad jump is run off, For the most part, only members of the track squads, both Freshman and Varsity have been participating, but several others have also placed.

The year's season starts April 25, when Holy Cross, Northeastern and Rhode Island State come to the Stadium, and includes four other meets. An informal one with Boston College may also be undertaken.

The summary of today's events:

100-yard dash, Won by Coolidge; second, Recinos; third, Bill Bingham. Time, 10.1.

220-yard run. Won by Lyle; second, Carr; third, tie between Recinos and Coolidge. Time, 22.5.

440-yard run. Won by Withington; second, Matlack; third, Allport. Time, 51.5.

830-yard run. Won by Walnut; second, Foster; third, Pincus. Time, 1:40.3.

One-mile run. Won by Farrington; second, Coggeshall; third, Troescher. Time, 4:34.

Two-mile run. Won by Kent; second, Scott; third, Lyon. Time, 10:18.5.

220-yard low hurdles. Won by Wes Flint; second, MacKinnon; third, Houghton. Time, 24.5.

120-yard high hurdles. Won by Flint; second, tie between MacKinnon and Read, Time, 14.8.