YALE MAY DROP CREW IN '43, NEW HAVEN REPORTS

Harvard Will Keep Sport, Says Bingham

By J. ROBERT Moskin

The Harvard-Yale crew classic, the nation's oldest collegiate athletic event, may not be raced next spring, Ogden Miller, Yale's athletic director, said last night in a long distance telephone conversation. Intercollegiate rowing for 1943 at New Haven, according to Miller, is "still a question mark."

An article in the "Yale Alumni Bulletin" by Miller outlined Yale's athletic program for the duration, and in enumerating the sports to be held next year, omitted crew. Last night he confirmed that the omission had been intentional, explaining that the list only included sports which would definitely be played.

Will Not Happen Here

William J. Bingham '16, Crimson Director of Athletics, stated he would be sorry to see the annual boat race discontinued, but added that no such action would be necessary at Harvard.

Ever since 1852 the Crimson and Blue crew meetings have climaxed the athletic year, with Harvard winning 40 and Yale 39 of the races. If the Crimson wins again this May 23, it will break a standing record that neither college has taken more than six contests in a row.

Yale's rowing situation is complicated by the distance of the Housatonic River from the college. Transportation for the 40-minute trip to Derby each day is becoming increasingly difficult to obtain, Miller said.

Harbor Facilities Limited

This summer the Elis will confine their crew activities to the harbor at New Haven, which is much nearer at hand but offers more limited facilities. In addition to that handicap, Miller suggested, the Yale shells may be barred from those waters for military reasons.