Physics Emphasis Shifts to Meet War-Time Demands

Complete revision to meet the exigencies of war characterizes the Physics Department today as it further enlarges and prepares itself for its all important role in the University's contribution to the war effort.

For the duration, theoretical physics has been pushed into the background to make room for the training of men in much-demanded technical fields especially electronics.

Those students who have had some Physics preparation before coming to college will take Math A and then Physics A.

For those with no physics and a weak foundation in mathematics, the department is offering Physics B in conjunction with a fairly elementary half-year math course called Math C, followed by Physics D.

Next comes Math 2 and Physics 4 after which the student is prepared to enter the electronics courses in Cruft. Physics 4 will be given this summer and during the regular year. It will also be open to men who have taken Physics C or F and appropriate math courses. Physics F. G, H, C, and 3 will be dropped out and replaced by A and 4 which will emphasize electricity and magnetism including alternating currents.

Because of the changes in courses and the accelerated program, requirements for concentration in Physics have also been changed. For concentration without honors, the requirements are Math A and Math 2; Physics A or Physics B and D, or for those who have already taken them Physics F or C; two coursse in Physics more advanced than A; and one more course in Physics or the related field of Chemistry, Engineering Science, Math, or Astronomy. For a degree with honors, one additional course in Physics and a half course not ordinarily open to Freshmen in Physics or related fields are needed. Math 4, as in the past, may be counted as a Physics course.

This plan differs from the preceding one in that it strikes out divisionals and tutorial work and admits an elementary course in Chemistry or an allied subject for concentration credit.

Physics 6 was given by Frank this year but Van Vleck has given it in the past. Frank sometimes over emphasized the theoretical material too much at the expense of the practical side of the subject. Van Vleck is very good once you get used to him.

The Cruft electronics courses consist of 71b, 21, 23, 24, 25a, and 26. Trying to give a background for military work in a complete way, 71b gives a lot of facts and formulae in a half year.

21 is a good fundamental course in the field and should be taken by anyone who wants to do further work in communication engineering. The more math you have, the better off you will be for 23 which deals with ultra high-frequency.

24 deals with the theory of vacuum tubes and 25a is a lab course involving 20 experiments, and a lot of time. 26 is a smaller course in accoustics and is quite mathematical.

The professors giving these courses switch around a good deal from one course to another and three, Mimno, Chaffee, and King, do most of the work. King is generally regarded as the best as far as teaching goes. Chaffee is one of the country's leading authorities on some of his subjects, particularly vacuum tubes, but his lectures aren't always too lucid. Mimno generally has pretty good presentation.