Shep Fields Featured At Traditional Senior Spread

Lowell is Scene of Annual Celebration

Opening the festivities of a Commencement shortened by war conditions, Shep Fields will feature his orchestra and new music at the annual Senior Spread Monday, June 8, it was announced by Edward I. Rothschild '42, chairman of the Spread Committee.

The dance is traditionally the Seniors' last fling at College life. This year's event will be held in the Lowell House Dining Room, lasting from 10 to 3 o'clock. At midnight the dancing will be broken by a feast, while soft drinks will be available throughout the evening.

Six Man Committee

Rothschild as chairman heads the six man committee in charge of the dance, other Senior Class members are J. Christopher Finegan, while Thomas Matters leads the Junior ushers.

Heading the list of patronesses will be Mrs. Arthur T. Lyman, mother of the captain of this year's undefeated crew. Attendance at the dance is limited to members of this year's graduating class and those who, under the accelerated program, are also completing their work by June.

Shep Fields fills the position this year that Gene Krupa occupied at last year's spread, and it is reported that Field's new style is an experiment in bridging the gap betweens the extremes of sweet and swing. It is, however, definitely not a hybrid, but boasts a manner and instrumentation different from any other current orchestra.

Fields won his greatest renown with his "rippling rhythm" which proved to be one of the most distinctive styles of the last decade, and which he has now abandoned in favor of an entirely new arrangement consisting of ten saxophones with rhythm.

Trend Away From Brass

According to the orchestra leader, the modern trend is away from "loud, brassy arrangements" and towards a softer and more musical style. The drive and power which the new ensemble produces more than compensates for the lack of brass. "Down Beat," oracle of the swing world, says "the amazing fishbowl-less Shep Fields band--debuted at the Chicago and surprised local men no end."

Tickets for this last of Senior events are available in Lowell O-25 every day, starting today between 1 and 2 o'clock and 7 and 8 o'clock. Except for the Jubilee, the Senior Spread is the only dance that a class gives as a whole, and it is expected that this year's turnout will be an large, if not larger, than that at last year's gala occasion.