INTER-COLLEGE SPORTS CANCELLED FOR SUMMER

Crimson Teams Will Play Service Games

Harvard teams will not enter any intercollegiate competition this summer, according to an announcement by William J. Bingham '16, Director of Athletics.

Since the College was planning to continue its teams in such sports as tennis and baseball during the summer, it was rumored that Harvard would engage other college teams and that league schedules would be extended through the summer.

According to Bingham, however, the only outside contests will be with service teams, which will mean that regular season competition will have to wait until September.

Nine to See Action

The only sport that will see much action will be baseball. The diamond nine will try to play three service games a week if possible throughout the summer term and negotiations are now underway to arrange these contests.

The reasons for the decision to play no intercollegiate games are that the weather in Cambridge is expected to be too stifling for highly tense competition with other colleges and also that the concentrated curriculum of the summer school will not leave much room for extracurricular activities.

All of the contests will be played in or very near Cambridge in order to cut down travelling expenses. It will be easier for service teams to do the traveling because they are comparatively unhampered by the restrictions on gas and tires.

A few tennis matches may be arranged with Greater Boston teams, including Army and Navy aggregations, but there will be no formal schedule.

The greatest emphasis will be on inter-House competition, which will fill in the gaps left by the abbreviated intercollegiate program. Freshmen will be admitted to House teams as well as Varsity teams for the first time, and the Student Council has made a formal suggestion that Freshmen should have special Freshman teams in all the Houses.