Student's Part in War Featured in Lectures

Subjects Include Consumer Conservation, Civil Defense

A series of five weekly lectures on how the student not yet in uniform can contribute to the success of the war effort is scheduled to start on July 1 at 4 p.m. with a talk on general opportunities in civilian defense both in Cambridge and "back home." Designed to put incoming freshmen and summer school enrollees abreast of the latest developments on the home front, the addresses are being sponsored by the War Service Committee.

Lydia H. deRoth, a former air-raid warden in England now working for the Massachusetts Committee on Public Safety, will address the College on July 8 on protection from enemy assault upon civilians. On July 15 Conservation of consumer goods, savings of scrap, and intelligent buying under a system of scarcity will be the subject discussed.

On July 22 "Propaganda and Rumors" will be the topic of a talk by Robert H. Knapp, Director of the Propaganda Research Bureau of the Massachusetts Committee on Public Safety, and the last lecture on July 29 will describe methods of paying for the war, with emphasis on the government's campaign to sell Savings Bonds and Stamps. The War Service Committee is planning a second series of talks for the second Summer School session.