War Causes Tutors to Vacate Large Studies

Winthrop Common Room To Accomodate Four Offices

With confusion and overcrowding in the Houses in prospect for the fall, Winthrop House, with an eye to the future, is changing the large Senior Common Room in Standish Hall to make four intor's studies and still have some Common Room left.

The change will free rooms in Winthrop House, formerly used as tutor's studies, for students' living quarters next fall when the rooming problem will become most acute because of the arrival of members of the College who have not attended Summer School.

According to authorities, the Common Room was already too big so that decreasing its size will accomplish a two fold purpose. The men from the Maintenance Department are hard at work since the job must be completed in September when the fall session starts, although the Common Room appears, at present, to be more in the process of destruction than construction.

Students have literally been feeling the pinch of war by being forced to double up in rooms. Many already have received cards asking them to take in another person. Some tutors will now have to share the unfortunate plight of the undergraduates by decreasing the size of their quarters, also.