College Plans for 140 New Freshmen as Hanford Dispels De-Acceleration Rumor

Figure Doubles That Set Last November

In what Dean Leighton calls a "reaction against acceleration," this Fall's Freshman enrollment of about 140 will be twice as large as that of last Fall. It is expected that about 140 out of the 161 who have been accepted will register on Friday, November 3 for the winter term.

Dean Leighton cited the close similarity in size between the '48 and '47 entering classes, approximately 560 each for the combined July and November groups. He said that the general atmosphere in 1943 evidently encouraged more men to enter immediately upon graduation in the Spring last year than the more hopeful course of the war and the lessening of draft pressure on 18-year-olds has done now.

Estimate Indefinite

Although 140 men are expected, the size of the new class will be very indefinite until its members have arrived, and no definite estimate can be given. I view of the unstable conditions, chiefly the larger number than expected of returning upperclassmen planning to live in the Houses, College officials seen pleased at the new arrangement which will permit the Freshmen to live together in their own quarters and still retain connection with House activities through the eating plan.

Will Live in Standish

Under this arrangement the Freshmen will live in B, C, and D entries of Standish Hall, Winthrop House, but will hold membership in Adams or Lowell with the privileges of eating and nearly everything else but lodgings. Standish was one of the old Freshman dormitories before thew House system was inaugurated in 1931.