HARRIERS LOSE RACE TO JUMBOS BY 23-33

Led by New England two mile champ Duncan Blanchard, a well-balanced Jumbo harrier team defeated the Crimson, 23 to 33, Saturday, over the local 3.7 mile riverbank course. Jumping off to an early lead, Blanchard outdistanced his field and coasted home in the winning time of 18:49.2 for a new collegiate handicap course record.

Ironic part of Blanchard's sweeping the race is the fact that last fall he was running over the same course for Harvard. But just as a V-12 switch brought ace halfback Marvin Jenkins from Tufts into the Crimson fold, so Blanchard was transferred to Tufts.

Tuttie Finishes Second

Captain Mark Tuttle, despite a heavy cold, turned in a creditable 19:52 performance in finishing second, while Charlie Atwell came from far back to notch third place for the Crimson. Tufts placed four men behind Atwell in 4th, 5th, 6th, and 7th places, though, to clinch the meet.

Several sure points for the Crimson melted away when Wayne Homans pulled up at the one-mile mark with a severe spike injury which forced him back out of scoring position. However, in a personal stretch duel, he nosed out his brother, who was running for the opposition. Third and final meet of the season will come next Saturday with M.I.T.

The summary:

Score--Tufts 23, Harvard 33. Winner--Blanchard (T); Tuttle (H); Atwell (H); Martin (T); Kennedy (T); Foster (T); Moores (T); Rochelle (H); Noble (H); Neff (T); Dick (H).