Navy Exhibit Aids College In Latest War Loan Drive

Posters Outline Steps Of Air Photography

Harvard has begun its War Bond and Stamp campaign in conjunction with the government's Sixth War Loan Drive, aided by an unusual U. S. Navy exhibit which opened yesterday at Hunt Hall. The display entitled "How Photographic Interpretation Reveals the Enemy's Secrets," is directed by American Defense Harvard Group, with the cooperation of the Women's Division of the Cambridge War Finance Committee.

Showing the operation of the United States Navy Photographic Interpretation Unit, the exhibition of 16 posters describes the methods used in photographic reconnaissance, and the part it plays in crushing the enemy. The equipment and training necessary to "Reveal the Enemy's Secrets" are illustrated in the display which will run until December 9.

Photo Interpretation in Action

At the beginning of the exhibit is a quotation from General Oberst Baron Werner von Fritsch, former chief of the German General Staff: "the Nation with the best photographic interpretation will win the next war." The following posters trace the three phases of photographic interpretation in action, and include copies of reconnaissance reports on Japanese island fortifications, and pictures of enemy, installations from the Navy's operational files.

The feature of the exhibit is the "Vectograph," a three-dimensional picture taken from the air, which, viewed with the naked eye, seems to be a blurred photograph, but which appears as a revealing photograph in three dimensional detail, when seen through a special polaroid viewer. Supplementing the 16-poster display is a set of pictures describing the officers' programs in the Yard.

Drives in Houses Begin

The exhibit is open from 12 to 6 o'clock, daily except Sunday, and admission is by a 25c War Stamp for the public, and a 10c stamp for students and members of the armed services. At the same time, drives have begun in the Houses in conjunction with the Sixth War Loan Drive, lasting until December 16.

Lowell House has already sold $600 worth of bonds, and $100 worth of stamps, with an additional $200 pledged, according to Alvin I. Reiff '47, chairman of the Lowell War Service Committee. Daniel C. Cohen '47, Adams chairman, yesterday announced a sale of $68.75 for the Gold Coasters, with $28.50 collected in last Saturday's record dance