Crimson Five to Open Season Against Invading Squantum Quintet Tomorrow

Stahl Names Starters For Initial Contest

Keyed to a high pre-game pitch, Coach Floyd Stahl's Varsity quintet will open the 1944-45 hoop season tomorrow evening at 8 o'clock in the Indoor Athletic Building against the Carrier Aircraft Service Unit from the Squantum Naval Air Station.

Starting lineup as announced today by Coach Stahl will have Jack Clark and Bob Chapple at the forward positions, with either Chet Pierce or Dave Mackintosh acting as the pivot man. Mike Keene will start at left guard, teaming with Bill Burk or Purvis Colins.

Scrimmage Encouraging

Only taste of outside action for the Crimson so far was furnished in a 30 minute scrimmage last week against the Navy Supply School outfit from across the Charles. Commenting on the scrimmage, Coach Stahl said that the defense was shaky but that shooting in some spots was encouraging. "We'll have to wait awhile," he said, "before we can see how the team is going to shape up."

Dozen Men on Varsity

Whittled down to 12 men, the Varsity squad members compose a varied group. Aggressive Jack Clark, from LeRoy High, New York, played ball at Lafayette College before coming to Harvard in the V-12. A fine ball handler and feeder, he is a dangerous man under the basket.

Bob Chapple, another smooth ball handler, comes from Garfield Heights, Cleveland, and is also in the V-12 at Eliot House. Chester Pierce, Freshman civilian from Glen Cove, New York, and Lowell House, starred on the Varsity eleven last fall. Mackintosh played for the Law, renceville School, and is now in the NROTC.

Lanky Mike Keene, who hails from Indianapolis, played for the Crimson two years ago, and after Army duty is now a discharged veteran living in Lowell House. Fast and steady, he is a clever play-maker and always a colorful man to watch.

Left guard Purvis Collins is a South Carolinian, with Junior College hoop experience, while V-12er Bill Burk makes his home in Peoria, Illinois.

Other Varsity men who will see action for the Crimson this winter are forwards Gerry Johnson of Newburyport High and the NROTC; Brewster Wolfe of Milton Academy and Lowell House; Jack Noble of Exeter and the V-12; Ronald Wright of Pawtucket High and the V-12; guards Clyde Kelsey. Jr., of Wadena High, Minnesota and the NROTC; and Herb Fritts, of Richmond Hill, New York and the NROTC