Crimson Opposes Quonset Nine, Beginning '44 Season Tomorrow

Second Team Faces Boston Naval Station

Coach Floyd Stahl's new and largely untried baseball nine will see its first action tomorrow afternoon when it meets a team from the Quonset Naval Air Training Station in the first Varsity game of the 1944 season. The game will start at 3:15 o'clock on the main diamond at Soldiers Field.

On the mound for the Crimson nine will be Jack Wallace of the V-12 unit, with Sid Greeley, Jack Easton '47 of the V-12, and Sam Hall of the NROTC, as possible alternate starters. Bill Harding of the NROTC will be behind the plate.

The probable starting infield is half veteran, half recruit, all V-12. Bob Slattery is holding down the first base position, while Bob Chapple will start at second. Jack Falsey will start at short-stop, and third base will be occupied by Bill Lutz. Of these men, Slattery and Lutz played on last year's Varsity, while Chapple and Lutz are new to the team.

Outfield Players

Starting in the outfield will be Sherman Clark in right field, George Boston in center, and probably Hugh Francke of the NROTC in left. Clark, an NROTC man, played on last year's Varsity nine, while Boston, a V-12er, is a former basketball Varsity man.

Chief Crash Davis, who has been assisting Coach Stahl with the team this year, will field a second team against the Navy Receiving Station of Boston. This game will also start at 3:15 o'clock, on the Freshman diamond at Soldiers Field. Chief Davis, who is second in command of Navy athletics here, was a star athlete at Duke University, and played for the Philadelphia Athletics for two years before the war.