Committee To Expand Program, 'Appreciates' Cooperation Offer

Seeks Aid to Probe Remaining Proposals

Answering Dean Hanford's reply to its protest statement, the Undergraduate Organizational Committee on the General Education Report decided last night to expand its program and issued the following statement:

"The Undergraduate Committee was set up originally to stimulate discussion of the General Education proposals, to take a survey of student opinion, and to report that opinion to the Faculty of Arts and Sciences. It now finds itself confronted with a new situation.

"Two levels of student participation are called for: First, an expression of informed student opinion on those elements in the University Committee's recommendations which have not yet been accepted by the Faculty. A sampling of undergraduate opinion on the tutorial system and on the specific content of the approved General Education courses can still be valuable.

To Study Tutorial

"Second, a study by representative undergraduates on the order of the mature work that has characterized Student Council studies in the past, of the tutorial and course content problems.

"The Committee appreciates the University's offer of cooperation; it will continue its program of presenting to the Harvard community the issues involved in the entire General Education discussion. To insure that all major bodies of student opinion are expressed, the Committee now calls for participation in its subcommittee activities by all students who are interested in the intensive study and frequent Faculty consultation necessary for a thoroughly worked out, constructive critique of the unresolved General Education proposals. Volunteers should meet at 21 Little Hall at 3:15 o'clock Monday."

Following the announcement that the Report had been passed and that the Student Committee has raised a protest, numerous members of the Faculty were questioned on their reaction to the Committee's charge of Faculty neglect of student opinion on the Report.

Crane Brinton '19, professor of History, stated to the Committee that "many of the men who voted on the Report were convinced by the evidence before the Committee of the past Student Council reports on liberal education that current student opinion was being taken into consideration. Nobody on the Faculty had any thought of putting something over on the students."

Earnest A. Hooton, professor of Anthropology, added that "the Student Council will be consulted during the period of experimental introduction of the Report, "I certainly think that they ought to be.