Nuclear Research Receives Subsidy

Corporation Gives $425,000 For Committee Led by Buck

Endeavoring to keep pace with all the latest developments in atomic energy, the Harvard Corporation has placed $425,000 at the disposal of a newly-created committee on nuclear physics and chemistry. To Dean Buck was given the five year chairmanship of the projected group. The other members have not yet been designated.

In step with this trend toward atomic awakening is the expansion of the Physics Department. Three new associate professors of Physics, Robert R. Wilson, Julian S. Schwinger, and Edward M. Purcell, have been installed. Wilson, who comes from Princeton University, contributed to the evolution of the atomic bomb.

Returning from the site of the Manhattan Project development at Los Alamos, the Harvard Cyclotron is coming back to a new building which will be constructed specifically to house it. Pre-war researchers built the Cyclotron at the Gordon McKay Engineering Laboratories in 1938, The tremendous energies necessary in the atom-smashing experiments gave the scientists early indication of the fantastic powers locked in the nucleus of the atom.