Swelling February Enrollments To Aggravate Housing Problem

OVERFLOW WILL BE IN YARD

Keynote of rooming plane as revealed by University Hall is the decision that all undergraduates in residence will either live in one of the Houses or be attached to one, for dining and other privileges, according to the procedure followed this fall for upperclassmen living in McKinlock.

Behind this formula, and particularly the secondary alternative, is the realization that not all those who apply for rooms in the six House--Dunster, as announced previously, will open for civilians in February--can be accommodated. The surplus will of necessity be quartered in Yard dormitories. Men assigned to the Yard will be allowed, Dean Hanford Stated, to shift to House rooms as vacancies occur.

Despite the rather confused indications that Eliot House will be vacated by the NROTC at the end of January, the House will not be used by College civilians during the spring term. With the Navy not leaving until February 1, Dean Hanford indicated that there would not be sufficient time to make repairs and readjustments necessary for occupancy in the spring term.

The fate of the NROTC members themselves will remain in doubt until further announcements from the Navy, with the College authorities at present awaiting word from the Bureau of Naval Personnel as to details of the peacetime NROTC program. Men in the present program who are candidates for the degree in Harvard College and who are released by the Navy will be provided with rooms, Dean Hanford promised last night.

Men once assigned to one House will not be permitted to alter their allegiance. Exceptions will be made, however, in the case of former members of a House which is just reopening.